Prof. Dr. Ilona Buchem
I am Professor in Residence (W2), Chair for Digital Media and Diversity, at Beuth University of Applied Sciences in Berlin, Germany. My research and teaching focus on the intersections of digital media and society. I am interested in how digital media, especially social and mobile media, change our current practices in education and business. Some of the current topics on my research and teaching agenda include digital diversity, digital identities, online participation, online facilitation, mobile learning, e-portfolios and personal learning environments.
Currently, I am the project coordinator of two national research projects related to diversity and digital media, i.e. “Wikipedia-Diversity” in cooperation with Wikimedia Germany and “Credit Points” as part of the IQ Netzwerk.
I am also member of the advisory board of the project Perspektive 2.0 and General Chair of the international conference on Personal Learning Environments – The PLE Conference 2013 – which will be held in Berlin and Melbourne, 10-12 July, 2013.
In 2009, I completed my PhD in Educational Sciences at Humboldt University in Berlin. My dissertation research was part of my work at Daimler AG, where I designed and evaluated technology-enhanced learning for sales. I graduated with a Master’s Degree in Applied Linguistics from the University of Warsaw (PL), studied Communication Sciences at Concordia University (USA) and Educational Sciences at University Duisburg-Essen (DE).
In academia, I have participated in a number of research projects (e.g. principal investigator, researcher) and taught both on-campus and on-line courses (e.g. VFH/on@campus - Germany; eEducation program - Austria). My fascination with online communities as forms of learning, belonging and participation started with the research project “Mediencommunity 2.0”. I have personally cherished the creativity, openness and the edupunk spirit of the PLE community. As member of the organising committee of the PLE Conference I have been organising the Mediacast Contest to support creative expression through digital media. The ePortfolio idea has been inspiring to me for a long time and I have been actively involved as member of the E-Portfolio Initiative in Berlin & Brandenburg.
Outside of academia, I worked as trainer at various corporations. My trainings focused on e-learning and language training. I have also co-authored a Publicly Available Specification (PAS 1093) at the German Institute for Standardization (DIN), focusing on competency modeling in context of human resources & work-based e-learning.
I enjoy international cooperations and I have been involved in a number of national and international collaborations projects, including #mproject, #iCollab and #FSLN. These international collaboration projects have involved students from different parts of the world, including Germany, UK, Spain, New Zealand and Israel. It has always been an enriching experience!
Overview of scientific activities:
- Project Coordinator of the project “Credit Points” (IQ Netzwerk)
- Project Coordinator of the project “Wikipedia-Diversity” (Wikimedia)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the project “Perspektive 2.0″
- Member of the E-Portfolio Initiative Berlin/Brandenburg
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the ePortfolio and Identity Conference
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the SMART Conference
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the PLE Conference
- Organiser of the “Mobile Learning & Creativity Workshop” at the EC-TEL’12
- Organiser of the “Participatory Culture” Workshop at OEB’12
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue on M-Learning & Creativity (IJMBL)
- LinkedIn Profile: ibuchem
- Xing Profile: Ilona Buchem
- Selected presentations: slideshare.net
- Selected publications: scribd.com
- Personal Twitter: mediendidaktik
- Blog at Pontydysgu: Paradygmat 2.0
Prof. Dr. Ilona Buchem
Professor for Digital Media and Diversity
Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin
Luxemburger Straße 10